What is a Triquetra?

2 posters
The Raven
Founder

The Raven

Job/hobbies : Programmer

https://gothicpub.forumotion.com

What is a Triquetra?

triquetra is an ancient symbol that consists of three overlapping and interconnected arcs, sometimes known as a Vesica Pisces shape, that creates a tri-pointed symbol. Essentially, the symbol resembles a three-cornered knot, as all internal arcs look as though there is no beginning or end. The name itself translates to ''three-cornered,'' but the meaning runs far deeper, dating back to pre-Celtic origins. However, the concept of three, also known as the power of three which is embedded in the name, is the most important aspect of the ancient symbol.

What is a Triquetra? Triquetra9129015273841653780

While the symbol is called a triquetra, it's also known as the trinity knot, the Celtic trinity knot, and the Holy Trinity. The Celtic trinity knot meaning and the trinity knot meaning are vastly different, as they stem from different cultural beliefs, but the concept of three is what binds the two meanings together. For some representations, the trinity knot is depicted with a circle in the center of the triquetra shape.

Triquetra Meaning

While the symbol is the same in various cultures, the meaning shifts. Since there is little written evidence surrounding pre-Celtic and Celtic life, scholars can only speculate regarding Pagan tradition. However, from corroborating various references, they know the concept of three was a linchpin of divine belief, signifying the Triple Moon Goddess which encompasses the maiden, the mother and the crone and connects to feminine fertility.

• The Maiden: represents a young girl symbolizing youth, pleasure, innocence, and new beginnings

• The Mother: represents love, fertility, and maturity symbolizing the middle of a woman's life as she cares for others

• The Crone: represents the facets of the other stages but focuses on the wisdom learned from a long life

Together, the three females represent the life cycle, touching upon the innocence of a girl's early life, the maturity as one ages, and the wisdom one gains throughout one's existence.

When Christianity came to Ireland, most of the Pagan traditions were altered to connect with the new monotheistic religion, and symbols, such as the triquetra, were reused. Irish Christians took the concept of the three interlocking shapes and repurposed it to signify the holy trinity: the father, the son, and the holy spirit. The never-ending loops themselves are said to reference the concept of infinity which is why the inner circle was later added to the symbol.

The triquetra has also been used to signify other meanings, such as:
  • birth, life, death

• birth, death, rebirth

• earth, air, water

• earth, sea, sky

• past, present, future

• father, mother, child

Today, the symbol is still used, and depending on the person or practice, all of the above mentioned meanings still ring true. However, the goal of the triquetra is to showcase the power of three and connectedness of all things. This concept is used in neo-pagan practices, witchcraft, and Wicca to symbolize the power of combining elements and or divinities. It also anchors the practitioner to nature and the land they inhabit.

You can clearly see that When Christianity came to Ireland, they simply took triquetra from them and change it to represent holy trinity from christianity. This is the practice christians used when changing pagan religions. That's why I am a pagan, because christians take over other pagan customs and adapt them to serve them best. 

Cole: "Phoebe I would do everything for you but don't ask me to be a coward".
Unstoppable Mind

Unstoppable Mind

Job/hobbies : Yoga

https://unstoppablemind.forumotion.co.uk/
What is a Triquetra? F2u_blue_themed_divider_by_nashobapaws_dbjys4s-fullview.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9OTUiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC84ZDlmZWQ1Zi1hMDQ2LTQ3MjctYmI5OS1mODM2OWZkYTY4ZWZcL2RianlzNHMtYWQ0NWQ3NTgtM2FjNy00Mjk0LWJmZGUtOTk0NDc0MjJhMTcxLnBuZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0yODMifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ
And here's an article to my taste. 

What is a Triquetra? 233172809042202
The Raven
Founder

The Raven

Job/hobbies : Programmer

https://gothicpub.forumotion.com
Unstoppable Mind wrote:
What is a Triquetra? F2u_blue_themed_divider_by_nashobapaws_dbjys4s-fullview.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9OTUiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC84ZDlmZWQ1Zi1hMDQ2LTQ3MjctYmI5OS1mODM2OWZkYTY4ZWZcL2RianlzNHMtYWQ0NWQ3NTgtM2FjNy00Mjk0LWJmZGUtOTk0NDc0MjJhMTcxLnBuZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0yODMifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ
And here's an article to my taste. 
Anything other than that? Any thoughts on this?

Cole: "Phoebe I would do everything for you but don't ask me to be a coward".
Sponsored content